There’s one thing that we often tend to ignore when designing an online marketing strategy:
The power of the offline world.
As in, the place where most of our leads spend most of their lives—and where plenty of our ripest lead-generation opportunities exist. For many of us, the best times for generating enthusiasm and engagement don’t necessarily come when our audience is seated in front of a computer screen.
Instead, they turn up when we’re presenting at a conference. When we’re networking. When we’re doing outreach in our communities. Perhaps even when we’re setting a chalkboard sign out on the sidewalk, or entertaining a crowd on stage.
So how do we seize those opportunities for connection and conversion? Rather than turn to old-school tactics such as brochures and business cards, we can rely on something very modern: our leads’ ever-present mobile phones.
LeadPages’ mobile-messaging lead-gen tool, Leaddigits, was created precisely to fill the gap between offline and online lead generation. In the months since it was released, it’s been getting spectacular results for Leadpages members who use it. And if your audience occasionally takes a break from their computers, it may be time to add Leaddigits to your marketing toolkit.
In this post, I’ll be rounding up everything you should know about using Leaddigits, plus everything we’ve learned so far from analyzing our members’ results. You can skip around to the sections that interest you most, or take it all in at once to become a bona fide Leaddigits master. I’ll also be adding to this post in the future as new data emerges, so if you’re using Leaddigits, you may want to bookmark this for future reference.
Before you scroll any farther, you should also make sure to grab two free resources we’ve created for you. One is a step-by-step walkthrough of the Leaddigits process, and the other is a guide called “50 Ways to Use Leaddigits to Grow Your Email List.” Click below to download both of them now:
What Is Leaddigits?
Leaddigits is a tool that allows you to collect leads via text messages. People who see the phone number and text code that you promote can opt into your email lists via SMS messaging—that is, the same text-message service most people use on their phones every day. This tends to be a very user-friendly experience for your leads, since it’s often much easier to text a short word to a short number than to open an Internet browser, type in a URL, and then fill out a form.
Through integration with your email service provider and LeadPages®’ lead-magnet delivery service, you can arrange for your new leads to automatically receive something good—for instance, information about an event, email updates on your project, or even a coupon for your business.
For a little more background, check out this blog post, “Why We’re Betting Big on Mobile Marketing,” which we published just before the Leaddigits launch.
How Does It Work?
Here’s how any Leaddigits campaign you set up will work:
1. Inside the LeadPages® app, create a new LeadDigit™. You’ll select a number your leads will send texts to (either a short or long number depending on your country) and a unique code they’ll text to you. You’ll also create a short message that leads will receive when they text the code to the number.
2. Decide what you want to happen when someone texts your LeadDigit™. You can choose to . . .
- Add them to any email list (most email service providers can also capture their phone number)
- Get email notifications with their info so you can follow up with them later
- Sign them up for a webinar
- Send them a resource via our own lead-magnet delivery system.
3. Put your LeadDigit™ out into the world! For ideas on where to publicize your LeadDigit™, and a step-by-step Leaddigits walkthrough, click below:
4. When someone texts your code to the number, they’ll receive the message you wrote, for example:
Thanks for opting in! Please reply with your email address only and we’ll send you the free bonus right away.
5. Your lead will reply with their email address. From here, everything is automated according to the actions you chose in Step 2.
6. Finally, your lead receives a thank-you and confirmation message. This also includes information about how they can opt out of receiving messages or get assistance.
7. Congratulations! Your list has just gotten a little bigger.
Still have questions on how Leaddigits works? Check out our Leaddigits support guide here.
What Should I Do with My Leaddigits?
Check out this video for a little inspiration, or go here to read the transcript (complete with links to the businesses we mention):
Because Leaddigits are so simple and intuitive to use, you can really promote them just about anywhere. That includes:
- In print, such as advertisements, billboards, posters, flyers, and signs
- Audio media such as podcasts and radio appearances or ads
- On screen in videos and video ads
- In person—mention your LeadDigit onstage at speaking engagements, add it to your presentation slides, or even use your LeadDigit as a business-card substitute at conferences
Click below to get our list of 50 very specific examples of ways you can use Leaddigits in a huge variety of industries:
What Kind of Results Can I Expect?
Across all users, we’ve seen a remarkable 98% conversion rate for Leaddigits. That means that once people send an initial text, they complete the process and opt into your list 98% of the time.
Learn more about the results people are seeing in the video below, or read the text version here:
Where Can I Use Leaddigits?
We now offer local Leaddigits numbers for the U.S., Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom. This means you can use Leaddigits locally in these countries without generating international texting fees.
However, if you would like to use Leaddigits outside of these countries, you can still use 10-digit U.S. numbers. International SMS texting rates do apply.
Currently, Leaddigits short codes like 33444 are currently only available to U.S. mobile carriers. However, we’ll continue to add new short codes and new countries in the months ahead.
Are There Any Limitations I Should Know About?
Perhaps. If you’d like the ability to send text blasts to lists of contacts anytime you want—we hear you, and we agree this would be a great feature to add to Leaddigits. However, it’s not part of this tool right now. (But stay tuned.)
Currently, LeadPages® accounts can have up to 10 Leaddigits campaigns running at any time. That means 10 unique codes people can text to be added to 10 different lists, if you like. We’ve found that’s more than enough for most accounts, but it’s worth noting.
Beyond that, the cell-tower-studded sky’s the limit!
How Can I Get Leaddigits?
To get Leaddigits—plus every single other feature LeadPages® currently offers, locked in for one price for the lifetime of your account—simply sign up for or upgrade to a LeadPages® Advanced membership. Click here to see everything that’s included in an Advanced membership.
Before you go, make sure to grab our two free Leaddigits guides so you can get the most out of this powerful tool: